Common Filing Issues
Before completing your application, please review the below information. These are common issues we have encountered with submitted applications that cause delays in getting your home inspector registration approved and issued.
1. Home Inspector Information
For purposes of registration, the “Home Inspector” is the individual or business being compensated for conducting the home inspection. This is either (1) the legal business entity that you own/operate or (2) you as an individual if you operate as a sole proprietor.
When completing the Application:
- If you conduct your home inspections through a business entity, you must enter the name, address, and contact information for that entity.
- Business entities include corporations, LLCs, firms, partnerships, companies, associations, and other legal entities created through filing documents with the Secretary of State (or equivalent) of the entity’s home state.
- Example: if I am doing business through my company “Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc.” I would enter “Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc.” as the Home Inspector’s Name. I would not enter my individual name.
- If you operate as a sole proprietor—as an individual, not through a legal entity—you enter your personal name, business address, and business contact information.
- If you are operating only as an individual and not as a corporation, LLC, etc., you are applying as an individual and your individual name would be the Home Inspector’s Name.
- Example: If I am doing business just as myself, I would enter “Dave Wilson” as the Home Inspector’s Name.
- Even if you operate under a trade name or “DBA,” you must still enter your personal name in this line if you are operating as a sole proprietor.
- Please include a street address as the Home Office Address for the Home Inspector.
- You may include an additional P.O. Box as a mailing address but we require a physical address.
2. Agent for Service of Process
All Home Inspectors must have an Agent for Service of Process. If this section is not completed, your Application will be returned to you.
- If you are a legal business entity, your registered agent for your entity is your Agent for Service of Process for purposes of home inspector registration.
- If you are an individual, you may be the Agent for Service of Process for yourself or you may appoint someone to be an agent for you. Your Agent must have a physical location and mailing address in Nebraska.
If you provide only a P.O. Box, your application will be returned to you for completion.
3. Signature and Title of Applicant
When submitting the application for a business entity, only officers or agents of the business entity are allowed to sign the application on behalf of the Applicant. Additionally, you must list your title when you print your name on Page 2 of the Application. I.e., if I am signing the Application on behalf of Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc., then I must be an officer (President, VP, Secretary, or Treasurer) of Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc.
- E.g., if you are the president of the corporation, you would list “President” as your title.
- I.e., if I am signing the Application on behalf of Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc., then I must be an officer (President, VP, Secretary, or Treasurer) of Dave’s Home Inspection, Inc.