The Secretary of State serves as Nebraska’s chief election officer. Working with election officials in the state’s 93 counties, the Elections Division oversees election law, the conduct of elections in the state, election tabulation equipment and the state voter registration system. The division accepts candidate filings and tabulates results for statewide, legislative, judicial retention and certain district elections. The division oversees filings for statewide initiative and referendum petitions.
Phone: (402) 471-2555
Fax: (402) 471-7834
TTY: (402) 471-7229
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 94608, Lincoln, NE 68509-4608
Location: 1221 N Street, Suite 103, Lincoln, NE 68508
Wayne Bena, Deputy SOS - Elections
Andrew Buller, Assistant Deputy for Elections
Heather Doxon, Training and Implementation Coordinator
Jennifer Hammond, Elections Specialist II
Ben Larsen, Administrative Assistant
Active Voter Registrations*
*As of October 1, 2020
Next Statewide Election
11/03/2020 - Statewide General
Dates & Deadlines
New or Former Resident Presidential ballots available to former residents.
Deadline to have early voting ballots ready to be voted in office.
- Postmark deadline for mailed-in registrations.
- At 6 PM- Last day for deputy registrars to register voters for an upcoming election.
- Prior to midnight, last day voter registrations can be completed online for the person to be registered to vote for the upcoming election.
- At close of business, last day voter registrations can be completed at DMV for the person to be registered to vote in an upcoming election.
- At close of business, last day voter registrations can be completed at or returned to State Agencies or Departments for the person to be registered to vote in an upcoming election.
- Last day for voter registration form to be delivered to the election office by someone other than the person registering to vote, for the person to be registered to vote in an upcoming election.
- Last day to mail an early voting ballot with a mail-in registration application form to a person not registered to vote.
- Last day for write-in candidate to file notarized affidavit and filing fee with the filing officer.
- At 6 PM - last day for in person voter registration.
- At 6 PM - last day to receive an application for early voting ballots to be mailed out to a specific address.
New or Former Resident Presidential ballots available to new residents.
- Last day for early voting - in person - at the county clerk or election commissioner office.
- First day the Early Voting Counting Board may convene to begin counting early voting ballots.
Statewide General Election Day
- 8 AM CT (7 AM MT) - Polls open.
- 7 PM CT (6 PM MT) - Deadline for agent to pick up early voting ballot.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Deadline for return of voter registration form with anearly voting ballot - in person.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Deadline for obtaining a replacement ballot - in person.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Deadline for return of early voting ballot - in person.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Deadline for an early voting ballot received by mail to be in the possession of the clerk or commissioner.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Deadline for new or former resident ballots to be returned.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - Polls close.
- 8 PM CT (7 PM MT) - The first time any returns or partial returns may be released.