The Secretary of State serves as Nebraska’s chief election officer. Working with election officials in the state’s 93 counties, the Elections Division oversees election law, the conduct of elections in the state, election tabulation equipment and the state voter registration system. The division accepts candidate filings and compiles results for statewide, legislative, judicial retention and certain district elections. The division oversees filings for statewide initiative and referendum petitions.
Phone: (402) 471-2555
Active Voter Registrations*
|Legal Marijuana NOW:||5,753|
|*As of December 1, 2023|
Next Statewide Election
5/14/2024 Presidential Statewide Primary Election
Dates & Deadlines
Last day to change party affiliation to meet member of party requirement on candidate filings.
- Last day a political subdivision may request the adjustment of election district boundaries.
- First day of an election year a person qualifying under UOCAVA may simultaneously register to vote and make an application for early voting ballots through FPCA or personal letter.
- Candidate filing period begins.
- First day to accept early voting ballot request for the primary election.
- Last day for a new political party to submit petitions with the Secretary of State to qualify for the upcoming primary election.
- Incumbent (any current office holder) filing deadline for an office to appear on the primary election ballot.
- Non-incumbent (new filers) filing deadline for an office to appear on the primary election ballot.