Updating Registered Agent Information

Registered Agent Information

Registered Agent Information

The registered agent is designated by law as the agent for your business for service of process and official government communications. 

Your business must maintain a registered agent in this state.  

How do I change my registered agent or registered office?

1. Locate the change of agent/statement of change form for your type of business (i.e. limited liability company, corporation, nonprofit) on the Forms and Fee Information Page.

2. Complete the form (all forms are fillable pdfs) and have an authorized individual sign the form.

3. Scan or Upload the form in a pdf format to a location that you can access on your computer or mobile device.

                Tip: Your form must be in a pdf format.

4. Submit the document and required fee online to the Secretary of State’s Office using Corporate Document eDelivery.

After submitting your document, you will receive confirmation that your filing has been successfully submitted. The submission will be reviewed by the Secretary of State’s office and you will be notified by email when the filing is approved.

Note: Corporate Document eDelivery is not available for Partnerships, Series LLCs or Limited Cooperative Associations.  Please mail your completed form and fee to: Nebraska Secretary of State, P.O. Box 94608, Lincoln, NE 68509. 

Why should I update my registered agent information?

Failure to maintain a registered agent can result in the administrative dissolution of your business.

Businesses are required to file an annual or biennial report. Notification of the filing requirement is sent to your registered agent. 

If your registered agent information is not correct, you will likely not receive notification of the obligation to file your biennial report. If you fail to file the report, your business will be administratively dissolved. 

You may be able to reinstate your business later, but you will have to file an additional reinstatement application and pay additional fees to do so. Additionally, you will not be able to obtain a certificate of good standing in the meantime. Keep your agent up to date to avoid these hassles and fees!

Who can be a registered agent?

The registered agent can be a member of the business entity or a designated third party who resides in Nebraska. The registered agent may be another business entity if the business entity is authorized to transact business in Nebraska. The registered agent’s office must be identical to the registered office.