This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.
1. Submit the following items within 30 days prior to your commission expiration date:
- Renewal Application
- $15,000 surety bond
- $30.00 renewal fee (Payable to: Nebraska Secretary of State or Notary Division)
- U.S. Citizenship Attestation Form
- Evidence of Employment in Nebraska Form (Non-residents only)
- Please use this address to submit renewal materials: Notary Division, P.O. Box 95104, Lincoln, NE 68509-5104.
- All application materials can be found on the main Notary page
2. Once your application is approved and processed, you will receive your notary commission certificate via regular U.S. mail. Take your certificate to any office supply store to order your notary ink stamp seal.
You must use an ink stamp seal engraved with the following:
- State of Nebraska
- General Notary or General Notarial
- Your name as commissioned
- The expiration date of the commission
Please note the following strict deadlines for renewal applications: As a general rule, renewal items must be submitted to the Secretary of State’s Office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the commission expiration date. If your commission expiration date falls on a weekend date (Saturday or Sunday), the renewal items must be received in our office by 5:00 p.m. on the Friday preceding the weekend. If your commission expiration date falls on a holiday during the business week, the renewal items must be received in our office by 5:00 p.m. the preceding business day.
Nebraska law provides that any renewal application made after the expiration date shall be made in the same manner as an application for a new notary commission. To obtain a new notary commission, applicants are required to pass a test.
Purchase of an errors and omissions policy is optional, and you do not have to provide proof of such coverage to our office.