This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.
1. Request a test from the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office. Applicants are required to pass a written take-home test to obtain a notary public commission. The required test is only available through the Secretary of State’s office.
To request a test, please provide the following information:
- Applicant’s name
- Applicant’s home address
- Telephone number (optional)
A test may be requested via one of the following means:
- E-mail: email@example.com.
- U.S. mail: Notary Division, P.O. Box 95104, Lincoln, NE 68509-5104.
- Telephone: (402) 471-2558.
- Fax: (402) 471-4429.
If you do not pass the first test, you will receive a second test automatically. If you do not pass the first two tests, you must wait six months before requesting the third and final exam. If you do not pass the third test, you will not be eligible to take the test again or receive a Notary Public commission.
2. Complete the test without assistance from others and return the completed test to the Secretary of State’s Office. Once scored, you will receive a letter indicating your test results. Upon passing the test, please submit the following items:
- Initial application
- $15,000 surety bond
- $30.00 commission fee (Payable to: Nebraska Secretary of State or Notary Division)
- U.S. Citizenship Attestation Form
- Evidence of Employment in Nebraska Form (Non-residents only)
- Please use this address to submit application materials: Notary Division, P.O. Box 95104, Lincoln, NE 68509-5104.
- All application materials can be found on the main Notary page.
3. Once your application is approved and processed, you will receive your notary commission certificate via regular U.S. mail. Take your certificate to any office supply store to order your notary ink stamp seal.
You must use an ink stamp seal engraved with the following:
- State of Nebraska
- General Notary or General Notarial
- Your name as commissioned
- The expiration date of the commission
Purchase of an errors and omissions policy is optional, and you do not have to provide proof of such coverage to our office.